Saturday 20 October 2007

PDA and an organised life

I've been considering using a PDA to help organise my life, my ordinary day to day life that is, just so that I know when I will be going on holiday, when Alpha is on, and not to forget my wedding anniversary! I had tried this before but found that it didn't work too well, nor did an ordinary diary for that matter. This, I think, was due to my life style and that having and living a chaotic life, and not putting in place some sense of order so that it can be managed, meant that this was doomed to failure.
Now, my life has changed some what, like being married and a normal job and having holidays etc. I think the diary/pda would work. So I dug out my old pda, a Sharp Zaurus SL5500. An interesting machine that has a built in keyboard, which is quite usable, so much so that it surprised me. I bought this device in 2002 in Singapore mainly because it used Linux as its operating system. I tend to dislike Microsoft products since I've found them either to have bugs or they don't do what they're meant to do. Anyway, I've installed another linux system onto the Zaurus called Openzaurus, developed by a small group of enthusiasts which comes with different options, applications and themes. As standard it come with the usual calendar, address book and stuff, also audio and visual stuff. There are also websites out there which have loads of other stuff for the Zaurus, wireless cards and the such like, most of which work straight out of the box. The only problem now is that the up-dates for it are few and far between, if at all. Which is a shame as it is a good device. So I shall use this to see if it works, and if it does, update it with a newer device (also running linux or may be Palm?).

Technorati Tags: , , ,

No comments: