Sunday 19 August 2007

Exam results trrough

No, not mine, I haven't taken any exams recently. I talking about the release of the 'A' level results. I was amazed but not surprised that one in four students received an 'A' grade. This has again raised the same old questions of just how hard are the exams and how relevant are the results? Well, I would suggest from the evidence I've seen, which hasn't been much, but I think its possibly enough, that the value of 'A' levels has reduced. I don't doubt the hard work put in by students to pass the exams. My questions are just how valid are the results? Can the students use the information they've learnt? Or were they just taught how to pass an exam? (so the school can remain or raise in the league tables etc). I saw a program a little while ago which caught my eye because it involved modern day students being taught and taking the old 'O' level. The majority of the students didn't do well at all. Admittedly the students had to 'live' the time as well, with the discipline and food and life style of the time. What was interesting was that some of the students enjoyed some of the subjects because they could see what was going on, especially in chemistry and physics.
With the 'O' level the student were taught subjects in a way that they could be taught. I was taught how to learn at a young age which I have found invaluable. Now though I think students are taught how to pass an exam, with defeats the object.

Technorati Tags: ,

No comments: